DAO proposal - Delegation strategy update & fee structure changes

I think geographic decentralization is the best thing to maximize for… outside of certain developed countries egress costs are much higher and there’s also a risk that voting performance and skip rate aren’t as good of very far from the rest of the network, so subsidizing those efforts is more important imo than just trying to subsidize any validator just so the network can add to its node count… which is already economically unsustainable unless voting costs go down or block rewards improve. I think it’s better if the network is more distributed and you can see validators running nodes in Siberia, South America, etc rather than seeing another one in Germany… MEV will be a geographically centralizing force most likely, and I like the idea of incentives to balance that out.

1 Like

+1 ser. Need to support the team and the war chest in times of these brutal bloody war days.

If SOL is back to ATH, is there a chance the fees can be lowered?

1 Like

It’s definitely something that the DAO will be able to suggest, yes :slight_smile:

I’ll use this message to update a bit on the progress now that the proposal has passed:

• Management fees will be changed on 08/13
  • Bonus to commission lower than 10% will be applied on the scoring of the current epoch, 337.
  • Unstake pool fee split will be done over the next two weeks as it requires a bit more work.

We’ll now start working on the data gathering part of the project, and the progress will be communicated on Discord.

3 Likes

The proposal didn’t include anything to this effect, but it’s all governance, so anyone could make a proposal at that point.

We are also looking into providing more regular financial updates. A better approach might be not thinking only in terms of SOL price, since there are other factors that could affect income - say, if we were to 5x TVL in a sustainable manner, the treasury would accrue funds much more rapidly.

Once things are stable, and we have more data on how everything has behaved, we can discuss how much of a runway the team should have to cover its future plans and whatever the DAO proposes, and then use that as a goalpost.

1 Like

Very informative article! I learned a lot for myself about the economics of Marinade’s work. Delegating to Solana is going through a tough time right now because of the price dump. Let’s be honest - most validators are forced to maintain nodes at a loss to themselves, since the current remuneration does not cover the cost of maintaining the servers. We have to find a compromise that will keep Solana’s existing network infrastructure intact and survive the bearish trend.

3 Likes